- To promote civic pride.
- To raise awareness of Sutton Coldfield's heritage, especially of our three conservation areas.
- To encourage good design in new buildings.
- To inform residents of strategic planning issues which will affect the town and to encourage participation in the planning process.
- To resist unsuitable development in Sutton's Green Belt.
- To provide an informative programme of talks and activities for our members and guests.
WHAT WE DO:
- We hold General Meetings on the first Thursday of the month from September to April inclusive, in Wylde Green Community Hall, Emscote Drive. These include visiting speakers, mainly on topics of local and environmental interest (both the built and natural environments). Meetings are friendly and accessible. Non-members are welcome on payment of a small donation.
- During the summer months we have a programme of outings and activities.
- With the generous support of Sutton Coldfield Municipal Charities we have placed commemorative Blue Plaques on buildings with historical assocations and we have published a Blue Plaque Trail Guidebook,
- We have campaigned for a Management Plan for the High Street Conservation Area and will respond to this when it is brought forward (hopefully this year).
- We have responded to consultations such as the Sutton Town Centre regeneration proposals and the Big City plans for Birmingham.
- We have presented awards for achievement in New Builds and in the conservation of old properties, with the generous support of the Sutton Coldfield Observer.
- Together with the Friends of Sutton Park (FOSPA) we helped to produce the Park's Archaeological Interpretation Scheme
- We have links with the Friends of Sutton's Green Belt Association and we are represented on various other local organizations. (see Chairman's Message page).
- Currently we are working on a Town Centre Trail leaflet which we hope will be ready for National Civic Day in June 2011.
- Some of our members can offer illustrated talks on aspects of Local History and Urban Design. (a modest fee would apply).